Digital, AF/AE single-lens reflex camera
Dual CF Cards (Type I or II)
Compatible with UDMA 7 CF cards
Approx. 36 mm x 24mm (35 mm Full-frame)
Canon EF Lenses
Canon EF mount
High-sensitivity, high-resolution, large single-plate CMOS sensor
Effective pixels: Approx. 18.1 megapixels
Color Filter System
RGB primary color filters
Low Pass Filter
Fixed position in front of the image sensor
Dust Deletion Feature
Carrier wave type
Removes dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass.
Self-cleaning executed automatically (taking about 1.8 sec.) when power is turned on or off. Manual execution also possible (taking about 5.2 sec.).
Low-pass filter has a fluorine coating.
(1) Self Cleaning Sensor Unit
(2) Dust Delete Data acquisition and appending
The coordinates of the dust adhering to the infrared- and ultraviolet-blocking glass are detected by a test shot and appended to subsequent images.
The dust coordinate data appended to the image is used by the provided software to automatically erase the dust spots.
(3) Manual cleaning
Design Rule for Camera File System 2.0 and EXIF 2.3
Still Image: JPEG, RAW (14-bit Canon Original), M-RAW, S-RAW, RAW+JPEG, M-RAW+JPEG, S-RAW+JPEG
Video: MOV (Image data: H.264; Audio: Linear PCM)
(1) Large: Approx. 17.9 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
(2) M1: Approx. 14.20 Megapixels (4608 x 3072)
(3) M2: Approx. 8.00 Megapixels (3456 x 2304)
(4) Small: Approx. 4.5 Megapixels (2592 x 1728)
(5) RAW: Approx. 17.90 Megapixels (5184 x 3456)
(6) M-RAW: Approx. 10.10 Megapixels (3888 x 2592)
(7) S-RAW: Approx. 4.50 Megapixels (2592 x 1728)
Exact file sizes depend on the subject, ISO speed, Picture Style, etc.
Select one of the CF cards to record.
2. Auto switch card
When the current card becomes full, the camera switches to the other card automatically.
3. Record separately
The same image is saved to both cards, but in a different size (L, M1, M2, S, RAW, M-RAW, or S-RAW) that was set for the respective card.
4. Record to multiple
The same image is saved to both cards in the same size (RAW+JPEG also possible).
Consecutive numbering, auto reset, manual reset.
Possible to create new folders and select folders in the CF card
RAW + JPEG Simultaneous Recording
The image-recording quality can be selected in any combination of the three RAW and four JPEG recording quality settings.
sRGB, Adobe RGB
Auto, Standard, Portrait, Landscape, Neutral, Faithful, Monochrome, User Defined 1-3
Auto, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Tungsten Light, White Fluorescent Light, Flash, Custom, Color Temperature setting
Auto White Balance
Auto white balance with the image sensor
Color Temperature Compensation
Blue/amber bias: ±9 levels
Magenta/green bias: ±9 levels
*Corrected in reference to the current WB mode's color temperature.
Color Temperature Information Transmission
Vertical/Horizontal approx. 100%
Approx. 0.76x (-1m-1 with 50mm lens at infinity) / 35.0° angle of view
Approx. 20mm (At -1m-1 from eyepiece lens center)
Dioptric Adjustment Correction
-3.0 to +1.0 m-1 (diopter)
Quick-return half mirror (transmission: reflectance ratio of 40:60)
- AF information (AF point, focus confirmation, AF status indicator)
- Exposure information (Metering mode, shooting mode, AE lock, shutter speed, aperture, exposure compensation, ISO speed (always displayed), exposure level, exposure warning)
- Flash information (Flash ready, high-speed sync, FE lock, flash exposure compensation)
- Image information (White balance correction, highlight-tone priority (D+), maximum burst
(2-digit display), CF card information, JPEG/RAW indicator)
- Battery check
- Composition information (Grid, electronic level)
Depth Of Field Preview
Enabled with depth-of-field preview button
TTL-AREA-SIR AF-dedicated CMOS sensor
*One to five cross-type AF points at f/2.8, 10 to 20 cross-type AF points at f/4, and 15 to 21 cross-type AF points at f/5.6. 1 cross-type AF point at f/8.* (The number of cross-type AF points will differ depending on the lens.)
*With Firmware Version 1.1.1 installed.
For automatic AF point selection, the AF point to start the AI Servo AF operation can be selected.
For automatic AF point selection, the active AF point can be displayed.
Predictive AI Servo AF
AI Focus AF (Switches between One-Shot AF and AI SERVO AF automatically)
(2) Manual focus (MF)
AF Point Selection
1. Single-point AF (Manual selection)
2. Auto selection 61-point AF
3. Single-point Spot AF (Manual selection)
4. AF point expansion (Manual selection, 4 points: up, down, left, and right). Firmware Ver. 1.1.1 allows cross-type autofocusing with the center AF point up to a maximum aperture of f/8 when using an extender. When AF point expansion is used with a lens/extender combination, the four AF points surrounding the center point act as AF assist points. Points above and below are sensitive to vertical contrast, while those to the left and right are sensitive to horizontal contrast
5. AF point expansion (Manual selection, surrounding 8 points)
6. Zone AF (Manual zone selection)
AF Function Registration/Switching
With a Custom Function, four types of AF function settings can be registered in a group: 1. AF area selection mode, 2. AI Servo tracking sensitivity, 3. AI Servo AF tracking method, and 4. AI Servo 1st/2nd img priority.
* This function can be assigned to the depth-of-field preview button or lens A stop button by customizing camera controls/buttons (Custom Controls).
Selected AF Point Display
Indicated by transmissive LCD display in the viewfinder and on the LCD panel
Active AF Point Indicator
AF Area and AF Point Selection
From the Orientation Linked AF Point menu, the AF area and manually-selectable AF point can be set separately for horizontal and vertical (camera grip at the top or bottom) shooting.
AF Point Illumination during AI Servo AF
With Firmware Ver. 1.1.1, AF points can be illuminated in red with a half-press of the shutter button in AI Servo AF mode. Illumination is intermittent, not continuous, and does not interfere with metering accuracy.
AF Assist Beam
When an external EOS-dedicated Speedlite is attached to the camera, the AF-assist beam from the Speedlite will be emitted when necessary.
252-zone metering with approx. 100,000-pixel RGB AE sensor and TTL maximum aperture metering employed. The following metering modes selectable:
(1) Evaluative metering (linked to all AF points)
(2) Partial metering (center, approx. TBA% of viewfinder)
(3) Spot metering (center, approx. TBA% of viewfinder)
1. Center spot metering
2. AF point-linked spot metering (Custom Function)
-Linkable to all AF points.
-With automatic AF point selection, center spot metering is set.
3. Multi-spot metering
- Up to eight multi-spot meter readings can be taken.
(4) Center-weighted average metering
1. The selectable metering modes can be restricted with a Custom Function.
EV 0 - EV 20 (at 73°F/23°C with 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
Exposure Control Systems
Program AE (Shiftable), Shutter-priority AE, Aperture-priority AE, Manual exposure, Bulb, E-TTL II autoflash program AE
ISO Speed Range
Automatically set, ISO 100-51200 (in 1/3-stop or 1-stop increments)
Basic Zone modes: ISO 100-51200 set automatically
Extension settable: ISO 50; 102,400 and 204,800
Manual: ±5 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
AEB: ±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
* Indicated up to ±3 stops on the LCD panel and in the viewfinder.
(1) Auto AE lock
- In the One-Shot AF mode with evaluative metering, AE lock takes effect when focus is achieved.
(2) Manual AE lock
- With AE lock button. (AE lock is updated each time you press the button.) Enabled in all metering modes.
Vertical-travel, mechanical, Electronically-controlled, focal-plane shutter
1/8000 to 30 sec., bulb, X-sync at 1/250 sec. (still)
1/4000 - 1/30 (Movie / Program AE)
1/4000 - 1/30 (Movie / Manual Exposure) for 24/25/30 fps
1/4000 - 1/60 (Movie / Manual Exposure) for 50/60 fps
Shutter speed's control range can be set with a Custom Function.
Soft-touch electromagnetic release
10-sec. delay, 2-sec. delay
EOS Dedicated Speedlite
E-TTL II autoflash with all EX Series Speedlites
Zooming to Match Focal Length
E-TTL II autoflash
Flash Exposure Compensation
±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
External Flash Settings
1) External Flash Control
- Flash mode, sync setting, FEB (not with 270EX II / 270EX), flash exposure compensation, E-TTL II, zoom, wireless master flash, (not with 430EX II / 270EX), and clear settings.
2) Flash Custom Function Setting
Provided; accepts third-party flash units with sync line voltages up to 250V maximum
Single, High-speed continuous, Low-speed continuous, Silent Single Shooting and Self-timer (10-sec. self-timer/remote control, or 2-sec. self-timer/remote control)
Continuous Shooting Speed
Super High-speed: Maximum 14 shots/sec.
High-speed: Maximum 12 shots/sec.
Low-speed: Maximum 3 shots/sec.
The maximum burst during continuous shooting is as follows:
JPEG Large: Approx: TBA
UDMA CF Card: Approx: TBA
RAW: Approx: TBA
UDMA 7 CF Card: Approx. TBA
Still photo and video recording
Quick mode (61- Point Phase-difference detection AF)
Live mode/Face detection Live mode (One-Point Contrast detection AF, switching to another point possible)
Face detection Live mode (Contrast AF, Face Selectable)
Manual focusing (5x/10x magnification possible)
Real-time Evaluative metering with the image sensor
Real-time evaluative metering with image sensor:
- Metering range: EV 0 - EV 20 (At 73°F/23°C, 50mm f/1.4 lens, ISO 100)
- AE lock possible
- The active metering time can be changed.
Three grid display provided
MOV (image data: H.264; audio: Linear PCM)
- Internal monaural microphone
- External stereo microphone jack available
1920 x 1080 (Full HD), 1280 x 720 and 640 x 480
[1920 x 1080]: 30 fps / 25 fps / 24 fps
[1280 x 720]: 60 fps / 50 fps
[640 x 480]: 30 fps / 25 fps
Continuous Shooting Time
Recording Times based on 8 GB Memory Card:
[1920 x 1080]
30 fps: ALL-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
25 fps ALL-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
24 fps ALLI-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
[1280 x 720]
60 fps: ALL-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
50 fps ALL-I (TBA) / IPB (TBA)
[640 x 480]
30 fps: IPB (TBA)
25 fps: IPB (TBA)
Same as Live View Shooting
Program AE, Manual exposure
±3 stops in 1/3- or 1/2-stop increments
TFT color, liquid-crystal monitor
Approx. 1.04 million dots
Viewing angle: 170°
7 levels provided
25 (English, German, French, Dutch, Danish, Portuguese, Finnish, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Spanish, Greek, Russian, Polish, Czech, Hungarian, Romanian, Ukraine, Turkish, Arabic, Thai, Simplified/Traditional Chinese, Korean, Japanese)
Single image, Single image + Image-recording quality/shooting information, histogram, 4- or 9-image index, magnified view (approx. 1.5x-10x), rotated image (auto/manual), image jump (by 10/100 images, index screen, by shooting date, by folder), slide show (all images/selected by date/folder), star rating
With single-image display (Info.) and single-image display, overexposed highlight areas will blink
Erase protection can be applied or canceled for a single image, all images in a folder or all images in the card
Erase a single image, selected images, all images in a folder, all images in a card or erase only unprotected images
RAW and JPEG images complying to Design rule for Camera File System
- Movies cannot be printed.
Version 1.1 compatible
JPEG and RAW images and movies
- For RAW+JPEG, only the RAW or JPEG image or both images can be transferred
Camera User Settings
Current camera settings can be registered to C1, C2 and C3 on the Mode Dial (Automatic registration update is possible)
My Menu Registration
Up to six top-tier menu options and Custom Function settings can be registered
For personal computer communication and direct printing (USB 2.0 Hi-Speed)
Video Out Terminal
(1) Video OUT terminal: NTSC/PAL selectable
(2) mini-HDMI OUT terminal
Extension System Terminal
For connection to WFT-E6A (WFT) and GP-E1 (GPS)
One Battery Pack LP-E4N or LP-E4
AC power can be supplied with the AC Adapter Kit ACK-E4
Number of Shots
Number of shots (approx.)
The figures above are based on CIPA (Camera & Imaging Products Association) testing standards
|Temperature and Shooting Method
|Live View shooting at 73°F/23°C
|Live View shooting at 32°F/0°C
Automatic battery check when the power switch is turned on:
Displayed in 6 levels:
- Battery level displayed on LCD panel and in viewfinder.
- Battery information can be checked with the [Battery info.] menu
Power turns off after the set time (1, 2, 4, 8, 15 or 30 minutes) of non-operation elapses.
CR2025 lithium battery
Approx. 0.1 sec
Dimensions (W x H x D)
Approx. 158 x 163.6 x 82.7 mm / 6.2 x 6.4 x 3.3 in.
Approx. 1530 g / 54.0 oz.
Working Temperature Range
Working Humidity Range
85% or less